Sunday, July 18, 2010

Countdown!!!















I started cleaning the apartment on Friday. I have to put out all of her decorations that we boxed up and stored while we lived here. There just isn’t any room in this apartment anyway. She had all sorts of crazy decorations everywhere! We had to move them just to be able to keep our stuff on shelves. (like clothes, since we have no closet!) Anyway, it’s quite a chore getting everything back where it belongs and making sure all of our stuff is out. I’ve never moved out of a furnished apartment before!

I spent Friday afternoon at the pool with Julia! I love hanging out with her!

We took pictures of Phillip’s notes from classes! Can you believe how many there are???

I spent all day Saturday working in the apartment again though. I got a ton done! The office and loft are spotless and almost all of our stuff is out. My goal is to get everything done so that Phillip doesn’t have to do much at all before moving home!!! I also started packing my 2nd bag and my carry on. Luckily they aren’t full yet! It’s hard to judge whether we’ll have enough room or not since we aren’t moving home at the same time!!! I have a big box ready with give away stuff again. I plan to take it to the lady who cleans at Palm Court. It has mostly clothes in it. I’m pretty sure she can wear my size clothes. We are lucky because Jane says we can just leave anything in the apartment that we don’t want…including food!!! Whatever she doesn’t want, she’ll give to her cleaning lady. That’s awesome and will help us a ton because Phillip won’t have to figure out what to do with extra stuff when he leaves!!!

Phillip and I spent the afternoon at AUC volunteering with the ICAN (orphanage) kids! The school had a 4 hour event for the kids. It was supposed to be outside, but it stormed like crazy all day, so we had to move it inside! It started with lunch. Several local restaurants donated food. It was awesome that the restaurants donated for the cause!!!! The students all paid $5 for lunch. The profits went to ICAN! Great idea!!! They had pizza from Pizza Dan, Pad Thai from Thai Savannah, mac and cheese from Rare, pasta from Temptations (I think), and 3 kinds of pastries from Zee Best. Great food!!! The kids totally pigged out…no clue where these tiny little kids put so much food! Then they showed a movie in one of the lecture halls. They had candy and snacks during the movie too.

There were several activities. Some students were making balloon animals. Phillip and I learned how! We were super excited about it!!!! The kids got to tie-dye a tshirt too! Even the tshirts were donated by someone! I helped a lot with the tshirts! (It brought back memories from working at Anderson Woods Camp!) Some students were painting faces and others helped kids to make beaded jewelry. The kids had a great time! They wore us out though! Phillip and I stayed afterwards to clean up. 30 kids managed to make a huge mess!!!! Apparently some student organizations donated money also. We heard that $800 was raised for ICAN today! What a fabulous afternoon!!!!!!!!!!

One of the older boys was wearing a Mario tshirt that we donated to the orphanage last weekend. We were so excited to see him wearing it! We also gave a purse (full of goodies) to the oldest girl there. She helps a ton with the little kids and is such a good person. She’s 13 years old. We planned it with my parents and Phillip’s parents last time we were home, along with all of the stuff we donated. We didn’t want to leave it at the orphanage with all the other goodies though because we were afraid it wouldn’t all get to her. Maybe that’s not fair of us, but we just felt that she really deserved something special. The purse was one of my old ones, but still in great shape. It was pink! Inside, we put 2 lotions, a heart necklace, a lipstick, 2 watches, some nice pens, a pad of sticky notes, and a sea glass cross. The girl truly did not know what to say. She gave us each a big hug! She seemed to love it all. Phillip later told me, it seemed like she was thinking “Why would someone do this for me?” I think that sums it up exactly. She was really shocked. It was fun to surprise her!! She’s a great kid!

I absolutely cannot believe that this time is really here. Here’s my countdown and it’s all less than a month away!!!

3 days till I fly home (can’t wait to see Mom and Dad!)
4 days till I can get a haircut (costs $76 here, so I won’t do it here!)
6 days till Kenny Chesney with Tina and Sara (great way to celebrate returning to the US!)
22 days till I start working again (yuck!)
27 days till Phillip flies home (Hooray!)
28 days till we go to Holiday World (We can’t wait! We didn’t get to go last summer, so are planning it for Phillip’s first day back this time!)
29 days till Phillip starts studying again (He is only giving himself one day as a break. He will have to study for a huge exam. He is really looking forward to goofing off tons after his exam is over!)

1 comment: