Updates first…I keep forgetting to mention some things in the blog. We did receive our $500 back from the bank! (The ATM didn’t give us our $500 a few weeks ago, but it said it came out of our account anyway.) So glad that was fixed!!!! I’m posting a couple of pictures that I keep forgetting to post. The applesauce is just something fun. It’s in individual pouches so you can “drink” it from the pouch. No mess, easy to grab on the go. They are even flavored!! I tried the vanilla and the apricot. The apricot applesauce is delicious!! The empty salsa jar is just posted because I think the flavor is amusing. Last week when Vicki and I went to Cost U Less, I was sooooo excited to find Sun Chips on clearance! Boxes of 24 individual size bags were on sale for $4.49!!! Of course, that’s because they were about to reach the sell by date, but who cares! Chips keep forever. I got 5 boxes!!!! That’s less than 19 cents a bag. What a steal!!! I barely paid more for 5 boxes than what one bag was supposed to cost. Phillip has been taking his lunch to school a lot lately because he only has half an hour lunch break. The little chip bags are great for packing lunches! (We stocked up like that over the summer with some boxes of sale chips too, and they lasted us several months!)
Tuesday morning, I did more laundry at Vicki’s apartment complex! Then Vicki and I went to AUC to meet several students after class. I was collecting money and passing out dive certification books to students who are going to get certified with Octopus Diving. That evening, Vicki and I went to the Grand Case Harmony street festival. We went a little early so we could stop at Octopus Diving and turn in the students’ money. Going early worked out great because we got a closer parking spot! We ate Johny cakes, a crepe, churros, and even tried salt fish cakes!!! Salt fish is very popular with the islanders. I kind of wanted to try it, but didn’t expect to like it, so never wanted to waste money on it. It’s a type of dried fish…sort of reminds me of jerkey. But they had 3 small pieces for a dollar and it was somehow made into a “cake” so I figured I’d be brave. It tasted like spicy fried dough. It wasn’t fishy tasting. It was very different, but good. Vicki even tried it! We didn’t have any problem eating it, but I’m not sure I’d order it again. Ha!
Wednesday, Vicki drove to Simpson Bay to Gourmet Marche. We bought some more groceries. I tried to stock up on stuff for Phillip! Vicki even put gas in the car. We figure she’s all set now…she can get to the pharmacy, Subway, Gourmet Marche grocery store, the gas station, McDonalds, and Market Garden grocery store. Driving here is difficult, but at least she can get to those places alone…that’s the important stuff. :-)
Yesterday morning, I did three last minute loads of laundry at Vicki’s. I did one load of clothes, and then washed sheets, towels, and our bedspread. I am so excited to have everything clean!!! What a good feeling! Then Vicki and I went to BB’s for lunch. LOVE that place! Their BBQ chicken meal is my fav. It’s only $5.00 for a ton of bbq chicken, lots of Caribbean rice, and a lettuce and tomato salad. Delicious!
I spent most of the rest of the day packing. Packing for one month is difficult! I am taking tons of swimsuits…have to take 5 one piece swimsuits for dolphin therapy! I realized it’s going to be pretty cold in Florida! The high is like 70 and the low at night is around 50! YIKES! Ok, I realize that probably sounds warm to you right now, but It’s always in the mid 80’s here, with a low around 80! I don’t even have many warm clothes here! I am taking my only hoodie and my only long sleeve shirt. We’ll see if I freeze!
I got a phone call from the principal of Harwood Middle School yesterday. I wasn’t home, but got his message soon after, saying to call him. I knew exactly what that message meant, even before I called him back! I am currently on a leave of absence, meaning that I get my job back in August. However, this is the last year for Harwood Middle School! They are building a brand new Kindergarten-8th grade school building, which will open in the fall. We already realized there would not be room for all of Harwood’s teachers in the new building, so knew some teachers would get “excessed.” That does not mean lose jobs. It just means that they are not needed in that specific school. 9 out of 25 teachers at Harwood got excessed! That’s a ton!!!! It goes by seniority…I was one of the 9. This means that when they post available positions on March 8, I get to bid for a position. Basically, I can choose my top 3. They fill the positions by seniority also, so if someone with more seniority than me chooses the same position, they get it. If I don’t see any I want, I can wait for the next round of openings. I believe there are 3 rounds and then on round 3, if I haven’t bid on anything, or if I didn’t get any that I bid on, they just stick me in one. In other words, who knows where I could end up teaching next year!!!! It could be interesting! I was completely expecting this to happen, so at least it wasn’t a surprise!
I spent most of today finishing up packing and doing last minute things around here. I absolutely cannot believe I am going to Florida tomorrow for an internship with dolphin assisted therapy! I will be sharing an apartment with 5 other girls. It’s going to be quite the adventure! I am very excited, but a little nervous too! My friend Julia is going also, which makes me very happy! We get to fly there together and everything, so that will be great! We fly to Miami, then take a Greyhound bus to Key Largo, then call a cab to take us to our apartment.
The apartment in Key Largo doesn’t have internet. We are going to try to hook internet up, but I just don’t know if that will happen or not. The library does have internet, so I will try to go there a couple times a week to check email. If I don’t get to update the blog/return emails for awhile, the lack of internet is to blame!
Off to start another of life’s crazy/amazing adventures. LOVE YOU ALL!!!! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment