Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Week of Pretending to be a Tourist...




















Sara and Jon’s visit was a lot of fun! We kept busy and the week went fast! Scuba diving was a lot of fun on Tuesday afternoon! Phillip was able to take the afternoon off from studying and dive with us! :-) We dove at Tintamarre and Shark Island. (No, we didn’t see any sharks!) Jon doesn’t scuba dive, but he got to snorkel and was still able to see a lot of cool stuff.

Wednesday morning, Sara, Jon, and I went to Grand Case for sea glass! The waves were pretty big from the Haiti earthquake, so we didn’t snorkel like usual! We were able to find a bunch of glass just by wading in the water though. We even found several blues, which are rare! I found a little blue piece that was perfectly round. We think maybe it was a marble at one time. It’s really cool! After sea glass, we ate lunch at Calmos Café (expensive, but neat place!) Then we went to the fort in Marigot. Sara and I had sundresses on over our swimsuits and then changed into tennis shoes to climb up to the fort. We thought it was hilarious! We joked that we were now some of “those ladies” who wear dresses and tennis shoes! Hehehe! We stopped at Sarafina’s on the way home and bought French pastries for breakfast. Love Sarafina’s pastries!!! That evening, we made banana daiquiris! Sara and Jon both really liked them! They are sooooo good! Cruzan banana rum, Finest Call banana puree mix, a real banana, and ice…blended to perfection! Yummy!!!! We also finished a game of Shanghai that we had started playing the night before. Fun game!!!

Thursday, we had lunch at BB’s and then went to the Sonest Maho resort pool. That’s such a neat pool! Friday, we went back to Philipsburg to shop some more. They bought some cool flavors of rum (made in St. Maarten and handpainted designs on the bottles…fun!) and a neat island drum. They got lucky – the alcohol made it home safely! (A bottle busted in our suitcase once, coming home from Puerto Rico. We could smell it when it was coming down the luggage rack!!!)

That afternoon, I put on some of Phillip’s scrubs and met him in the Anatomy Lab! Ok, I’m crazy, I know! But I was curious! I wanted to see! He had permission to show me, so it was fine. Luckily, no one else was even in there, so he was able to tell me about everything and even unzip one cadaver to show me what it looks like once it’s dissected. The back was the only thing that was dissected, so that’s all I saw. It was plenty though. I’m glad I saw…it’s actually not near as bad as I figured it would be. They have the face covered for the first several weeks. I’m sure that makes it easier for the students in the beginning!

Friday night was White Coat Ceremony! It was at Bliss this time, which we were all excited about! It’s an outdoor nightclub right on the ocean. It’s beautiful! However, it was a rainy, yucky day! That made it not so much fun! But it was still fun to dress up and go out for a bit. We had a free dinner at least! We got to sit at a cabana with a huge table and a roof! So that was good! We enjoyed spending a couple hours with friends and then called it a night early. Sara and Jon enjoyed their evening out also! They ate at a fancy restaurant in Maho and then enjoyed the Maho casino till we picked them up on our way home. It was a good night!

Saturday’s plans were to go to Orient Beach. It started out as a cloudy, dreary day! It started raining when we were halfway there! We even debated turning around and heading home, but figured as soon as we would do that, it would clear up! So we kept going. I saw the sign along the way for Friar’s Bay and decided to take a detour to show them another beach. We sure weren’t in a hurry with the yucky weather! Well, on the way to Friar’s Bay, I took a wrong turn and ended up at a rocky shoreline. We decided to get out and take a look. We found conch shells there!!!! So we walked around for a long time, exploring. We found a lot more shells, a bunch of trash, old shoes, metal scraps, an old rusty dive tank, and lots of other junk! Strange how all of the ocean junk seemed to wash up on this one shoreline! I can’t even call it a beach…there was no sand. Just tons of smooth round rocks that had washed up from the ocean. It was hard to walk in flip flops!!! We walked a little farther and I started finding sea glass! So then I started watching closely for it and couldn’t believe what I found…several pieces of YELLOW sea glass!!!! Amazing! What a neat find…sure glad I took that wrong turn!

Afterwards, we drove to Friar’s Bay…yes, I found it! (I had only been there at night before! That’s the place that Phillip and I went to the full moon party once!) It was pretty and the sun even came out while we were there. So then we headed to Orient Beach! We were all starving so ate in one of the restaurants there…sooooo good! I had the best fish sandwich ever! YUM!! Then we snorkeled for awhile, but quickly discovered that snorkeling on the “normal” side of the beach wasn’t any good at all. The good snorkeling is on the nude section. SO…we went to the nude section! We weren’t the only ones with swimsuits on, but we were definitely outnumbered!!!! The funny part is…most (if not all) of the nude people were age 55 and older. Not what I would have guessed! I figured it would be young, good looking, toned bodies – no way! Kinda funny! Anyway, we snorkeled there and had a great time. Sara and I even swam out to a floating dock and laid there for awhile, enjoying the view. (We were facing the ocean, NOT the beach…we weren’t watching the nude people!) By the way, we couldn’t figure something out! There were several people with shirts on, like maybe they didn’t want to get burnt? But then they had on NOTHING down there! I don’t understand, why cover up at the top and then let everything show down there? Maybe they wanted to show off that part but were trying to cover up beer bellies??? I dunno…people are odd!

Sara and Jon also enjoyed exploring on their own some this week. They went to the pool several times, Mullet Beach a few times, and even walked over to check out Cupecoy Beach (gay nude beach). They went to the casino several times too. Fun times exploring!!

We were up bright and early Sunday morning to head to the airport at 5:15am! Poor Sara and Jon had several layovers and a whole day of traveling! But they made it home safe and so did all of their luggage! Even the conch shells didn’t break! Awesome! I meant to start studying that day, but was so worn out, I ended up being lazy and watching movies. Oops… (I joked that being a “tourist” wore me out…I definitely couldn’t be a tourist here all the time!)

I went on the walk Monday morning! It was so nice to go again, and great to hang out with the girls! I missed them!! After that, I made myself study! I finished and posted an assignment, so it was a good day.

Today, I went on the walk again! Hooray! It was really hot today and I was soaked in sweat, so planned to take a shower as soon as I got home! Well…electricity went out! So I thought I’d wait just a few minutes in case it came back on quick. It didn’t, so I decided to shower in the dark. Then the water went out too!!!! So much for a shower! AND so much for studying!! (I needed internet for the next assignment.) So I watched a movie instead. Phillip and I had to eat peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. That’s always our lunch when we have no power! The electricity was out for two and a half hours and the water even longer!!! I finally got to shower this afternoon…and then eventually was able to study! Some article online about the power called it “sketchy.” Ha, ya think?!?!? Sketchy works, but I could certainly think of a few other words to describe the power here…

I’ll add pictures on to this blog sometime in the next few days, so check back to see them! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment