Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Need a break from this island...




The picture is of a new T-shirt of Phillip’s…I love it!!!!

We talked Monday night and decided I should just rent a car for yesterday! I had tooooo many things I needed to do and seriously didn’t want to carry the laundry all the way to school! So I walked to the Sapphire Resort yesterday morning and rented a car! My first stop…the DOCTOR! :-( Something else has been wrong and I didn’t want to write about it till I knew what it was. I have a fungus…gross huh??? There’s a spot on each shoulder and a couple on my back. They are bumpy and white…it’s like my tan just disappeared from those spots! I’m really dark too, so it’s pretty noticeable! Phillip and I did some research online and he thought he figured out what it was, so figured I should go have it checked out. Sure enough, it’s a fungus from the yeast in our skin. Apparently it’s normal to have a little yeast, but the hot, humid weather causes problems here! Dr. Deketh said it’s very common here and assured me that it’s not caused by hygiene problems and is not anything I could have prevented. He prescribed a cream and a “shampoo” that I’m supposed to wash my hair and body with twice a week. (I have to leave it on for 10 minutes…annoying!!!) Interesting! I also showed him my eyes while I was there. (Last time I went to him for my lips, he told me to try to figure out what I’m allergic to!) So I informed him of our latest theory and he thought that made sense. As soon as I mentioned latex, he asked if I was allergic to latex condoms. Hmmmm…would think most people would ask about latex gloves first, but nope, his first thought was condoms…hilarious!!!! Anyway, he also suggested a cream for my eyes. The pharmacy did have the fungus cream and shampoo, thank goodness! But they didn’t have the eye cream, so they suggested a different one. Sure hope it doesn’t make my eyes worse!!!! Then I went to the Mail Box (Post Office) and 2 grocery stores! I bought Phillip some special treats at the stores! (We usually really try to watch what we buy since everything is so expensive, but I splurged for him!) Then I went home, quickly loaded up the car with laundry and drove to school to do laundry! I did 8 loads!!!!! There are 3 washers and 3 dryers on each floor. I used the 2nd and 3rd floors, so had 6 loads going at a time! It was all I could do to keep up, running back and forth between them! I was worn out, hot, and sweaty by the time I finished! (It’s soooo hot in the laundry room…no airco and hot dryers…ugh!) I loaded the car, carried everything up the stairs to our 3rd floor apartment, and realized the electricity was out! It was roasting in our apartment! I seriously just put the laundry on the floor in the middle of the room and left again. I returned the rental car just before 2:00. He gave me a discount since I didn’t have the car very long. I only had to pay $27.00! (I was expecting to pay $39.50.) I must admit I was quite proud of myself for getting all of that finished by 2:00. I wasn’t exactly very productive the rest of the day though…I was still putting laundry away at 9:00 last night!

I really enjoyed driving the rental car!!!! It was pretty new and wow, it drove so much smoother and had way more power than ours! I wanted to keep it and return ours to the guy. Think he’d have noticed??? Hehe! I even took pictures of the rental!

The good news is that Charles fixed our car yesterdayafternoon/evening! Nice!!! He got a friend to weld the exhaust pipe back on. He also fixed the tire, but said we need to buy a new spare tire sometime because ours is no good! Another day…

I was more ambitious again this morning! I started PACKING!!! I am soooooooooooo excited to go home for a couple of weeks! I feel sorry for Phillip though since he’ll be stuck here alone and studying tons. I am especially glad to get away for awhile because of these issues I’ve been having lately. I have to admit, Monday night when I realized I needed to go to the doctor, plus didn’t have a car to drive the next day, I lost it! Guess a good cry helps every now and then right??? I could have taken the bus, but really wanted to grocery shop for Phillip, and don’t even think I could have possibly carried all that laundry to school! I’m sore today just from lugging it around as much as I did!

Phillip had to take a classmate to the doctor today after class. So many students and spouses have been sick lately! Sure hope he doesn’t get it!

Phillip and I love to eat hamburger helper, especially the lasagna kind! (I use ground turkey.) It’s not too expensive here, and is a quick, good, hot meal at least! Well, I was thinking…scary huh? Mom freezes lasagna sometimes, so I wondered if I could make hamburger helper ahead and freeze it for Phillip to have while I’m gone. I tried it! I made a bunch and froze it this evening…sure hope it’s good! He was excited at the idea of it at least! He’ll probably be eating a lot of sandwiches otherwise…so at least this will be something hot!

I’m so excited tonight that I seriously can’t think straight! (So sorry if the blog is long and rambling…it probably is!) I need to finish packing. I was hoping to study today, but there was just no chance of that! I arrive in Louisville tomorrow night. I can’t wait to see my parents!!!!! Saturday morning, we’re driving to Kansas City to meet Sara and Andy for a few days! I can’t wait to see my seeeeester!!!!!

My flight is at 2:25 tomorrow. Jane (our landlady) is on the same flight and offered to take me to the airport! We’re leaving here around noon. So excited!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see my seeeester! Love ya and have a safe flight!!!

    ReplyDelete