Monday, March 7, 2011

First Day of Clinicals


























On Sunday, Phillip and I slept in and then met up with Ricky to head into London. We took a taxi to Slough and then bought an all day transportation pass for 11.50 Pounds. This pass allowed us to take the train and subway as much as we wanted. It fascinates me how quick it is to jump on the train or subway at one stop and then get off at another. We visited a lot of places!!! Here are some of the things we saw: Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, National Portrait Gallery, a really neat park that I forgot the name of, The Cabinet War Rooms, Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey (where the Royal Wedding will be), and Downey Street (where the Prime Minister lives). Westminster Abbey wasn’t open to the public since it was Sunday, but we plan to go back sometime to look around inside. There was a little church beside it that we were able to go in and even that church totally fascinated me. It was gorgeous!!! It is hard for me to believe that these old building are so detailed and fancy. How did they ever build these buildings????

We took the train to Kings Cross (rail and subway station) just so we could see Platform 9 and ¾! (from Harry Potter) We were so excited to see this. The funniest part is that we stood in line with a bunch of teenagers who said their lives were complete now that they were going to Hogwarts!! It was hilarious! (Sad thing is that we were probably just as excited as they were!!!)

We spent the evening organizing the apartment and Phillip’s things for clinicals. We bought an iron to go with the ironing board that was already in our apartment. I didn’t take time to check out the ironing board before hand though and we discovered that the cover has been melted and is really rough in multiple places. Good thing we brought twin sheets and never made the twin bed yet…A sheet became my new ironing cover…hey, it worked!

We were up early for clinicals this morning. Phillip met Ricky outside our flat at 7:40am. They have to be there at 7:45 each morning. I spent the morning straightening up the flat and finally put away the rest of our stuff! Then I had to force myself to work on a paper, even though all I really wanted to do was go back to bed! 8 hours of sleep last night apparently wasn’t enough compared to the 11-13 hours the two nights before! I finally finished my paper and washed all of the dishes today. (All of the dishes were either brand new or old and dusty, so I wanted to wash everything before using them!!!) Around noon, workers knocked on my door saying they were here for my sofas! Hooray, they took the old love seat and 2 chairs away and brought a brand new couch, love seat, and chair, or as they called them…three seater, two seater, and one seater! They’re awesome! We’re really excited to have an actual couch!!!

Phillip started his surgery rotation today. He had a great first day at the hospital! He got to meet a lot of people and see some patients. He also learned some funny new terms…they certainly don’t refer to private matters the same way we do! Passing wind, waterworks, and back passage…interesting!


Hope you enjoy the pictures! I included some pictures of groceries I thought were funny…don’t worry, I didn’t buy the ox chips…I took that picture in the store! I did try the prawn cocktail Pringles and they aren’t bad! I sure never expected to eat shrimp flavored chips!!! Check out the weird yogurt and beer flavors! Crazy! Also, look how small the juice and milk containers are!!!! It upsets me that the milk is so tiny…I drink tons of skim milk, so I’m going to go through these containers way too fast. I realized today though that if the milk was any bigger at all, it wouldn’t fit anywhere in the frig!!! Guess there is a reason for the tiny containers at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment