Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Block 2

Phillip studied all day on Sunday! I studied most of the day and then went to church that evening. I’ve never really explained parking around here I don’t think. Most places do not have parking lots! Church is no exception. So I have to park somewhere down the street and walk down the one way street to get to church. Usually no problem…but Sunday was interesting! It had rained so hard earlier in the day that the street was flooded! So I seriously had to wade through the water as I was walking down the street! There was no way around it! Thank goodness for flip flops! Church was absolutely packed, with people sitting up front around and behind the Priest even! This was my first clue that high season is approaching…lots of tourists are starting to come! The cantor explained that we were her choir! It was pretty funny because not many people sang the first line when we were “practicing” before church. She stopped everything and ordered us to sing, then walked up and down the aisle eyeing everyone to make sure everyone was singing! It was amusing, but sure made church fun! EVERYONE was singing! And I don’t mean singing quietly either. It was great! Something else I’ve noticed about church…no one leaves until the singing is over at the end. You know how at home, they sing just a couple verses of a song as the Priest walks out and then once he is out, everyone else starts to leave? Well, here they keep singing the rest of the song…usually several verses! No one leaves till it’s completely over…except for the tourists! The tourists usually start leaving after the Priest has left. It’s like the tourists just can’t wait to get out of church, but the locals actually enjoy church and are in no hurry to leave. And no…it doesn’t annoy me! I’m not in any hurry to leave either! It’s just so hard to explain, but it seems like the islanders truly enjoy church. It is so different from home, where everyone wishes it would be over early and then rushes out the door! I picked up McDonalds after church and took it to school. Phillip was super excited to have McDonalds!

Block 2 was Monday morning. We were so happy when it was over! Phillip worked really hard and studied a ton for his 3 tests, so he certainly deserved a break! It was kind of a yucky day though…rained off and on most of the day. So we just stayed inside and relaxed! We watched movies and ordered pizza! It was great spending time together!!!!

Tuesday…back to class for Phillip already. Sure is too bad they don’t get a break after exams! I studied in the morning, then supplied (subbed) for one class in the afternoon at CIA. It was a “Canadian history” class. Sure didn’t know anything about that! It was great though…the students had an assignment and worked really well on it! I didn’t really have to do anything! I should have taken my homework with me. I usually do, but figured there was no use since I’d only be there for an hour and 15 minutes. Well, I found a great way to pass the time! I read through a Spanish textbook. It was actually pretty fun to brush up on my Spanish skills! I wish I remembered more! Last night, Phillip and I went to see a movie! Tuesday is AUC night at Caribbean Cinemas, so we got in for 4$ each!

I have been cleaning the apartment today! I also discovered another problem with our water heater. It started making a funny noise a couple days ago. It almost sounded like it was spilling a little water out, but I couldn’t see any water on the floor! It does this several times in a row, just a couple minutes between each time. So weird! We finally decided it must be the pressure valve just releasing pressure maybe? NOPE! This morning, the sound was worse and I got down on my hands and knees and searched…sure enough, it is squirting water out of the pressure valve and onto the floor!!!! That can’t be good! I just called Jane (landlady) so am waiting for a return call now. The ironic part is that Ramone (the guy who “fixed” the water heater last time) just called me Sunday evening to check on it and see if it was still working ok. This new problem started Monday morning. I think he must have a key and came in and broke it because he needs another job. Don’t worry, I’m kidding!!!! But it is weird…

Willow and I are going to meet this afternoon to finish planning games for a friend’s baby shower. Several of us are hosting the shower on Saturday. I brought back everything from home that we’d need for the games, even Mary Kay goodies for game prizes! I’m very excited to have all that done!

No comments:

Post a Comment