Saturday, August 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Cheryl!!!!





Today is Phillip’s mom’s birthday! I cannot believe it is August already! Where did the time go?

Yesterday, Phillip and I both studied lots. I picked up Subway for dinner and we ate at AUC to save Phillip a little time. It was delicious! Subway was quite the experience this time though! The two ladies working there were arguing the whole time I was in there! They were yelling and pointing fingers at one another. The lady taking my order barely stopped yelling long enough to ask me questions. She just sort of asked me stuff in between breaths from yelling at the other lady. Most of it was not in English, so I didn’t understand much at all. Quite the experience…I was glad to get out of there! That would only happen here!!!!

Phillip found a baby lizard in the bathroom again last night. It was up really high, so we couldn’t help it escape. We didn’t see it this morning, so I hope that means it eventually found its way back out!

Seebrook was supposed to come at 10:00am today to fix the water heater! At 11:15, I called him to remind him. He said, “Oh yeah, I’m on my way sweetie!” Yeah right…he did eventually show up at 12:20. Better late than never! He brought an “old electrician” with him, as he put it. The electrician (I could not understand his name) was really nice!!! He was blind in one eye and was very slow walking up all those steps to our third floor apartment. I had to work really hard to understand him!!!! I think the combination of his age and accent made it difficult!!! When we first moved here, I wouldn’t have understood a single word he said. But I’m better at it now. :-) He was really nice and he found the problem! The water heater calls for a 1500W element. The element that was put in a few weeks ago was a 2400W element! Geez!!!! Those popping noises that scared the crap outta me three weeks ago…that was the element bursting! Seriously, there were 4 huge holes in the metal! Crazy!!!

They had to buy the right size element and said they would come back tomorrow morning to put it in. So I made plans to meet Julia at the pool. I did a little more work, then changed into my suit. Luckily I had not put sunscreen on yet, when the phone rang. It was Seebrook, saying he couldn’t come tomorrow after all, so was coming back in half an hour! OK!!! So I changed back into my clothes! Julia was already at the pool by then, so I just went down and talked to her till they got here. While the guys were working, I offered them a drink. You should have seen one of the guys…his eyes totally lit up when I mentioned Coke. So I poured them both a glass of coke. I think it was a real treat! One of them was especially excited about it! I bet they never buy that!!!! When they left, I offered them plastic cups to pour the rest into so they could take the rest with them. They agreed and when I offered to fill their cups up the rest of the way, one said “Yes! Top it off!” He was sooooooo excited about his glass of coke! It was cute…but rather sad!

You should have seen me when the hot water started working!!! I seriously kept moving it back and forth from cold to hot, like a little kid totally amazed! Also rather sad…

When they left, I changed back into my swimsuit, put sunscreen on, and finally headed to the pool! Julia was still there, so at least we got to hang out for a little while! I floated around on a raft and read in my textbook…my favorite way to read!

Washing dishes tonight was great! First time in three weeks that I didn’t have to heat up water on the stove to wash our dishes! Oh, the little things!!!!! (Dad says I’m already back in time 50 years because of not having a dishwasher and that I was 100 years behind when I had to heat up my own water! Ha!!)

The weirdest bug was flying around in our apartment today! It looked sort of like a cricket with wings. It had what looked like a stinger on the back of it though, that kept moving up and down! Really odd! I captured it so I could show it to Phillip. So of course I had to take a pic! (I later set the cup outside and quickly ran back inside so it couldn’t follow me back in!!)

I got a ton done today! I wrote two papers and read a chapter in my textbook. Not bad for a day’s work! And I spent an hour goofing off tonight, working puzzles online with Mom! Fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment