Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Princess Juliana Airport Disaster Drill











This morning, I got up at 6:00 and was at school waiting at 7:00. They had said the bus would come get us at 7:00 or 7:30…nice time frame! I figured they’d be late, not early, but didn’t want to take any chances, so of course I was there at 7:00. Guess what time we left???? 7:55!! Not surprised…guess that’s about right for “island time” anyway!!!

Speaking of island time…this is a drill that international airports are supposed to do every 2 years! St. Maarten’s last one was 4 years ago…OOPS!

They had told Phillip to drive separate. He was supposed to arrive at the airport around 8:00. The bus took us to Red Cross, which is across the street from the airport. There was a lady there giving us fake wounds. Some wounds were serious (possibly fatal) but mine were just scrapes and cuts painted on with red paint! Some had that putty like stuff that looks like fake skin…people usually use it for Halloween!

Then they took us to the airport and explained what was going on! They had a little torn up plane there to make it seem more real. (It wouldn’t have possibly held us all, so was just there for the effect!) They had luggage and clothes scattered about everywhere on the ground and even lit 2 fires! Those were supposed to be sections of the plane that had caught on fire! People were laying on the ground, “injured!” Fire trucks came first and had to put out the fires! Lots of people got sprayed during this process, but I stayed dry! :-)

They then proceeded to evaluate patients and attempt to get the more serious patients first. They did not have enough workers though!!!!! It was total chaos for awhile!!!! I eventually got bandaged!

Phillip was evaluating the whole process with one other person. She has been an ER doctor for 15 years!! She was really nice and Phillip enjoyed the morning!!! He is supposed to meet with her later this week to write up their final evaluation. All the students were asking me, “How did Phillip get picked to do that???” I think they were all impressed! He looked very important today!!! I’m including a few pictures, but here’s a site you can copy and paste in your browser if you want to see them all! It looks very real…kinda scary!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=77917&id=500394476&l=3fe2772c26

Afterwards, they had snacks and juice for us. The airport gave AUC a plaque for helping out. We all thought that was really nice! I started my next reading assignment this afternoon. I have to read 230 pages for my next assignment! That’s a lot!!! Phillip has been studying, making sure he knows what he missed from classes today! He has a quiz tomorrow in one class, so is reviewing for that too!

I am writing earlier tonight because I’m hoping to go to bed super early!!!! I am worn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment