Friday, July 17, 2009

Butterfly Farm, Zoo, and Sea Glass







































Yesterday morning, Steve, Cheryl, Vicki, and I went to the pool! We relaxed and floated on rafts for awhile. Then we got ready so we’d be all set when Phillip finished classes. He got out at 11:30 and we went to McDonalds for lunch!!! YUM! McDonalds food was definitely a treat since it had been over 2 months since we’d had it. But the McFlurry for dessert was even better!!!!!! Over 2 months with no ice cream is definitely too long!!

After McDonalds, we went to the Butterfly Farm!! That was really fun! They have lots of beautiful butterflies! We learned a lot too! Did you know that each species of butterfly can only lay eggs on one specific plant???? That’s crazy! Or that butterflies mate for over 48 hours…whoa that’s really crazy! It was beautiful, but sooooo hot and humid in there! One of the butterflies loved Vicki! It landed on her shoulder and wouldn’t get off. It stayed there for a long time! It really liked her! After the Butterfly Farm, we drove around for awhile looking for the “Zoo.” It’s called St. Maarten Park. There were a few signs for it, but they didn’t have any on some very important turns, so we kept missing it. We definitely went the long way around, but finally got there! We got to feed peanuts to the monkeys and the birds! Phillip really enjoyed throwing them at the monkeys. One monkey would take his peanuts over and wash them in the little pool before eating them!! Another monkey really liked Steve! It kept going over and “talking” to him! Steve made a buddy at the zoo! The birds were fun to feed because they would take the peanut right from your hand. Neat! They also had tons of turtles there, so of course I loved that! I wanted to keep one!!!

We stopped at Sunny Foods grocery store on the way home. Phillip and I had never been there, so it was really neat to see! They had some really good deals! That just might be my new favorite store here now! We got home around 6:00, had a quick dinner, and Phillip took off to study at school.

This morning, we went to Grande Case for sea glass while Phillip was in class! We made a few stops on the way there though. We stopped to check the ferry schedule in case we take a ferry to Anguilla one day. Then we stopped for pictures of a cool water fountain and a tiny lighthouse. Next, we stopped at Octapus Dive Shop to check on prices and times. Phillip and Steve are hoping to dive next week! Finally, we made it to Grande Case Beach! We enjoyed snorkeling and finding sea glass. Everyone got quite a bit, but Vicki found a ton! She’s a pro! We also saw some cool little blue and yellow fish, a tan crab with brown spots (so he blended in with the sand perfectly), and these weird long fish that go to the bottom and wiggle so that they get buried in sand. They were totally buried except for their eyes sticking up. How cool!

We didn’t get back till almost 2:00 and were starving! So we had lunch and headed to the pool for a while! The electricity was out this morning (which made breakfast a pain!) and it went out again right after lunch. Luckily we had already put everything away from lunch. So no huge deal, but it did get hot fast! So we enjoyed the pool for the afternoon! I laid in the shade and got some reading done! I’m starting the next section in a textbook that Steve and Cheryl brought here with them!

We met again at 6:30 for dinner at Sugarcane Café! We picked Phillip up at school on the way. The special tonight was fish and chips. We all got it except for Vicki! She got pasta. Our fish was delicious! It came with fries and a big salad with cucumbers and tomatoes on it! That was a treat for me! After dinner, Phillip went back to study. I actually went over to the other apartment complex to do laundry. I washed 2 loads. When I went back to put them in the dryer, one dryer was already in use. There are 4, but there’s a sign saying only 2 can be used at once or it will blow a fuse! Just great! So I could only dry one load! When I went back an hour later, my clothes still weren’t quite dry and neither were the other people’s clothes! (Yes, I checked…is that awful of me???) Sooooo I just waited there till my load was dry. It took about 15 more minutes. By this time, it was already around 10:20pm and there was no way I was willing to wait another hour and 15 minutes to dry another load! It was just whites, so I brought them all home wet and hung everything up to dry! What a pain!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment