Thursday, July 2, 2009

Storage Containers






Phillip came home and helped me deal with the worm situation last night. We opened boxes till we found the problem. Thank goodness he opened the box of raisin bran and not me. It was disgusting!!!!! There were lots of worms in there and they were crawling out of that box!!!!!!!!! The box was brand new, we hadn’t even opened it yet! DISGUSTING!!!! We opened everything, sorted through everything. We put mac and cheese noodles into zip lock bags, looked for any holes in every single package. It took forever! He was up too late, but I did finally talk him into going to bed while I finished. I felt so bad that he left the library to come help me, but I am also really glad he did!!!! We did throw out several things that we just weren’t sure about, but most things were definitely fine.

I went to bed super late, so planned to sleep in this morning. I didn’t even set my alarm! BUT the electricity went out at 8:10 and woke me up because it got HOT instantly! So I got up, took a shower in the dark for the second day in a row, and drove to Cost U Less in Philipsburg to get more storage containers!

We don’t like to open the frig when the electricity is out since you never know how long it will be out. Plus since our frig is so tiny, we feel like the cold air escapes quicker! So I used that as my excuse and decided I deserved McDonalds for breakfast! That’s the first time I’ve done that here!!!!! (At home, I let myself do it once a month! I guess that’s pretty good then if I lasted 6 months here!) I wanted an egg and cheese biscuit, but they don’t make biscuit sandwiches here. She suggested a McGriddle. I really like those! So ordered a sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle and a Coke (I needed caffeine!!!) I was in the drive through…first time using a drive through here too! I pulled up, ready to pay, and she informed me that the kitchen was out of McGriddles! She asked if a McMuffin was ok. I agreed. (I had to if I wanted anything…that was the only choice left!!!!!!!!!) She said it was $4.00. I gave her a $20 and got $15.90 back. Does that make sense to you???? I was laughing to myself as I drove away, thinking she must have wanted a ten cent tip! I was curious though, so looked at the receipt. It was actually $4.08. That makes sense then, because they never give pennies back!!!! Isn’t that interesting?!? They take pennies…you have to make sure to pay the exact right amount, or more. But they don’t give them back. (That’s for the whole island, I mean, not just McDonalds!) Too funny!

Anyway, I got to Cost U Less really fast! I was super excited because sometimes it takes forever lately because of all the construction. I got the storage bins and a huge bag of frozen fruit. I’ve been wanting one for awhile, and we finally have room in our freezer at the moment! I spent $65 dollars on storage containers. They are ridiculously expensive!!!! (Just like everything else here I guess!) I probably got too many, but wanted to make sure we could keep EVERYTHING in them from now on. I had heard we should be doing that anyway, but just never had given in and bought them. It took me an hour to get home. I was miserable…stuck in traffic, not moving at all for a long time! It was soooo hot!

This afternoon and evening, I studied. I got another paper finished. (This one took me way longer than I hoped, but at least it’s done!) Then I organized the storage containers. I’m very excited to have these storage bins!!!! Everything is in them now, even things like bags of chips, granola bars, and gum!

The electricity went out again tonight for about half an hour! I was on the phone and all of a sudden it was pitch black in here…and the phone call was no longer! UGH!!!! Phillip found this on the St. Maarten Times… “GEBE Power Plant is already undergoing expansion with the two 11.2 MW generators expected on the island within the next two weeks and should be commissioned in December 2009 just in time for the beginning of the high tourism season. In the mean time, any additional mechanical problems may lead to short power interruptions.”

In other words, they aren’t going to fix this problem till December, when tourists start coming!!!!!!!! Why am I not surprised?!?

Phillip doesn’t have classes tomorrow!!! The school is closed for 4th of July weekend believe it or not! I think he plans to use the day to study anyway though, but maybe we can take a short break for something fun.

The worm pictures I took last last night. Even the pictures gross me out now! I just now took the pics of the storage shelves! Nice! And that’s a pic that Phillip took of Garfield yawning yesterday! Too funny!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment