I forgot to tell about something weird we did yesterday! The school was drawing blood to test for Dengue, which is a disease people get frequently here. It is carried by mosquitoes!!! That’s not good news for me, because mosquitoes have always loved me!! (I’ve been told that’s because I’m too sour! Haha!) Anyway, every semester, AUC draws blood for students and tests it for antibodies to Dengue. If you have the antibodies in your system, that means you have been exposed to Dengue at some point. I believe they are tracking how often people get it, and if it’s more frequent on certain areas of the island. We weren’t sure if it was for spouses too, but figured I’d walk over with him and see. It was, so we both did it. They had us fill out a long survey first, so they are really doing research about it and comparing all kinds of different factors. It was interesting. They had a basket of individual sized snacks sitting out, so everyone got a snack after having their blood drawn. We were pretty excited about getting chocolate chip cookies! (We decided that made it worth having blood drawn anyway!!!) Surely at this point, neither of us has had it yet. It will be very interesting to have it tested again 5th semester and find out then. A lot of people get really sick with it, so obviously you’d know then. But sometimes people aren’t sure if that’s what they have, or if they’re just sick…anyway, pretty interesting!
The walk was cloudy and muggy this morning. Can’t believe we didn’t get rained on! We had a pool day here this afternoon. Four spouses and a hubby came! Fun times! I think maybe we’ll have to make this a weekly tradition and post it for all the spouses and see who all shows up. Fun stuff!
When I got back from the pool, I noticed the light blinking on the phone, which meant that we had a message. Diane (the teacher that replaced me) had called during Resource class so the kids could talk to me! I was sad that I missed them, but they left me a big long message which totally made my day!!!
I was talking to Mom on the phone this afternoon and the electricity went out!!! It was out for about an hour. Not terrible really. It just meant that we had to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch! But then around 5:15 pm, the water stopped working! Of course, the one day that I hardly have any water filtered and ready! I had one pitcher in the sink to wash and the other was really low. Usually they’re both in the frig and pretty full. That’s just my luck!!! (The water came back on after 5 hours, so no big deal!)
We had been planning to go to Tantra, a new night club tonight. There were rumors that famous people were going to be there since it was opening night! We got ready and headed out, only to find that OUR CAR DOESN’T START AGAIN!!! I’m really sick of this car…
Hello
ReplyDeleteIt has a nice blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from my country, Portugal
Now I'm convinced you're just making up stories so the rest of us don't have to feel so bad about not living in paradise (not that I'm complaining about Cali weather)! :oP
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about all of the troubles--especially the car! I know I would be seething if I was having as many issues with my vehicle! At least you seem to be managing fairly well without one. Hope you can get it fixed (or replaced) soon!
ok that car is evil--it's even making my old Contour look wellbehaved! Dad finally sold that car...for $150 to a guy at work. The transmission, that I paid to replace 2 years ago, went out AGAIN!
ReplyDelete