Wednesday, March 11, 2009

10 Hours Without Electricity!

I woke up in the middle of the night burning up and realized quickly that it was way too quiet. The fan wasn't on! Sure enough, electricity was out! We don't know exactly when it went out...sometime around 3:00a.m. Luckily we both set the alarms on our cell phones too! I got a phone call at 7:37 this morning about supplying today. Yikes...not much time to get ready! I took a quick shower in the dark and hurried to get ready. I left the apartment 20 minutes later and made it there just after 8:00. I called Jane on the way to let her know I was supplying. I was sad about not getting to spend the day with her…but I can’t turn down a chance to make $75.00! Maybe I can hang out with her tomorrow. She leaves Friday already! My first 2 classes this morning were 6th grade Spanish classes. They were fun and the students were really nice. Then I had an 11th grade English class with 27 students...whoa, huge group! They were very talkative!!!! They were allowed to work with partners to answer questions. Several did more talking than working. Those now have way more homework tonight because of it! A couple that worked hard got everything finished. I had a 40 minute lunch break and discovered that the computer was on, which means I got to check email! That was a treat since I haven't been able to do that while supplying before. So I played online while I ate my lunch...pop tarts. I absolutely refuse to buy a school lunch because they cost like $6.00! So I always just grab something quick from home to hold me over. After lunch, I had 9th grade Spanish. They were talkative too! It's obvious these kids are totally spoiled and used to getting their way. Then I had 10th grade Spanish, which only had 10 students. They were a nice class to end the day with...much calmer! It still shocks me when I think about all of the fancy laptops, IPOD's, etc. that these students have! Crazy! (I discovered that I still know enough Spanish that I could help the 6th and 9th graders with their work, but not enough to help the 10th graders!!!!)

Our electricity came back on a little after 1:00p.m. So it was off for about 10 hours. That’s the longest time so far. I’m just glad it wasn’t out long enough to make our food spoil since I just went shopping yesterday!!!!

I made chicken patties tonight for dinner. They were soooo yummy! I really miss chicken…I just don’t get it very often here! Mom, Dad, Sara, and Andy are eating at Pizza Inn tonight! I’m so jealous! Pizza Inn sounds awesome! (Although I must admit, I am actually more jealous about the company than the food! Sure wish I could be there with them!!!! I am very happy for them all though! They’re having fun spending time together. Sara and Andy are so happy to be back and I’m excited for them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment