Friday, January 23, 2009

Supply Teacher!

This morning, I was planning to meet the girls at 10:00 to make burritos! We’re doing this as a fundraiser for our Spouses Organization. We’ll be selling them to students this weekend on campus. Students will all be studying tons this weekend, because there’s an exam in every single class on Monday! I need to help sell them this weekend on campus, but not sure yet if I’ll go tomorrow or Sunday. We’ll see…

Anyway, the phone rang at 8:05 and it was the Vice Principal from CIA, wanting me to supply today! I told her I hadn’t even showered yet and asked what time I needed to be there. She said 8:30, but that someone could cover till I got there. So I agreed! I hurried!!!! I showered, dressed, put on a little powder and lipstick, and took off walking! (It’s funny to walk to work…I kind of like it!) I got to the office right around 8:30, and then into the classroom at 8:35. Not too bad!

It was high school drama and English! It was a ton of fun!!! The classes are each an hour and 20 minutes long. I had 11th grade Drama first. We played a game called Guesstures. The students had to act out different words and get their teammates to guess them. 2nd period was 10th grade Drama and we did the same thing. Those classes were so much fun!!!! Then I had a 40 minute lunch. (I grabbed pop tarts this morning and stuck them in my purse, so that was my lunch!) Then I had 12th grade English. They are preparing to read a play. So the teacher had a packet of work sheets with little stories and then questions after it. They involved cheating in school, keeping a wallet you find, etc. The kids had to decide what was ethical. They answered the questions and then we discussed…or in some cases, debated! They had such good discussions!!!! (It seemed so much like college…the kids can eat and drink in class, listen to IPOD’s during silent work time, and even cuss in class. Very weird to me!!!!! Oh, and the students all have really nice IPOD’s!!! Way better than we have. They have the kinds with the touch screens and stuff. Fancy! I was shocked at first, but I guess I shouldn’t be! After all, it is 600 dollars a month, per kid, for tuition for this school!) But they were really good kids! I was supposed to be finished at 1:15, because her plan period (or “spare” as they call it) was 4th period. However, the Vice Principal came in during 3rd period and said they needed me in a 7th grade Social Studies room till 2:30.

That was a whole different experience. The kids would not be quiet!!!!!! (It didn’t help matters any that a boy threw up on his desk at the very beginning of class!!!!) I had actually never had that happen to me before. At least at home if it happens, you just push a button to call the office. There are no call buttons here!!!! Just as I was starting to panic, in walked a teacher to check on me. He quickly said he’d take care of it. He took the kid with him, and came back a few minutes later to tell me he had told someone about the mess. A few minutes later, the guy I know as the security person (he guards the front gates) came and cleaned it up. So needless to say, the kids were grossed out and all excited and would not be quiet!!!! But we finally got the lesson finished and I sent them on their way at 2:30.

I went back to the office to return the keys. The Vice Principal saw me and met me on the stairs to see how my day was. She also let me know about pay. I knew I’d get $75 a day, but didn’t know when/how. She said we get paid for one whole month, and get paid in cash. We can pick it up on the 6th of each month. Not bad!

When I got home, I was starving and Phillip had to eat early anyway, because he has meetings tonight from 5:00 – 9:00. So we had an early dinner and he left for school…

Think maybe I’ll actually watch TV tonight…maybe I’ll find a movie on or something. We have a TON of channels and I haven’t even checked them out yet!!!!

2 comments:

  1. YEAH!! You survived your fist day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great news about getting to teach! It's a little something different for you from special ed. Good for you! (Sorry to hear about the vomit. That's icky.)

    ReplyDelete