OK, so the reason I'm not posting these as I'm typing them is that I usually type in the room after dark. Then I don't really want to come outside, downstairs, in the dark to post them. But then it takes me awhile to post. Hopefully I'll be better once we're in the apartment...
Yesterday, I walked to campus again with Phillip, then played in the computer lab while he had a meeting. Then we walked home, had lunch, got our car jumped AGAIN, then met the mechanic again. He kept the car this time, which left us by campus, again carless! We walked to campus and got there right as they were loading the busses for the island tour. So we took the bus tour, which turned out to be really good. There were 2 full busses! Big turnout! They let us wander around a beach on the French side for 30 minutes. It was not a nude beach, but topless is pretty much accepted wherever is seems like…so there were a lot of topless ladies! Very interesting! Quite weird actually…
We met Mark on the bus tour, so we were excited. Mark is from Evansville also! Very cool! They also let us out at “Cost U Less,” which is like Sams at home, only you don’t have to be a member. The prices there are much better! That’s definitely where we’ll have to shop for stuff that we can buy in bulk! Everyone was stocking up! We were going to buy some things, then thank goodness Phillip remembered we didn’t have a car…that would have been a LONG WALK carrying groceries! So we put everything up…
We got back to campus at 5:30, and the mixer was scheduled for 6:00, so we just stayed. The mixer was fun. We sat at a picnic table with another new couple and a professor and his wife. They were all very nice. The food was good…lasagna, rice, chicken, salad, bread, cake…yum! The cake seemed very sweet! Hard to believe the difference after not having any junk food at all for a week…
We went to Jane’s to see our apartment when we left the mixer. It’s a very short walk from campus, which is great! We absolutely love the apartment!!! We will definitely be just fine living there!!!! Can’t wait to post pics once we’re in!!! It’s amazing! I can’t believe we got so lucky! (Jane drove us home…we were very glad since it was dark and raining!!!)
Tuesday - Jane came and picked up Phillip to take him to school today. She said there’s no way he’s walking there!!! Especially on his first day…she’s so sweet! Then I stayed with Jane and hung out for the morning. We went to a cool little place for breakfast. It’s called Turtle Pier! Fun!!!
Then we picked up an Island guy who was doing some work for her. He’s a really nice guy, but hard to understand! Phillip finished early today…no afternoon lab for the first day. So we picked him up after class, on our way to a hardware store. We were excited to see that place and know what all is there.
Phillip’s first day of class was fine. They didn’t go over much actual school information yet, just procedures and how everything works basically.
Just as we were getting back to Jane’s, the mechanic called and said our car was ready! Talk about good timing!!!! We walked a couple doors down, to his house, and paid for our car. Turns out there was a short that was killing the battery. So he fixed that and replaced the battery. It started great! Just hope it continues to! So we drove home, had lunch, and then went to Simpson Bay, where we bought Chippie cards! These are the sim cards for your cell phones. They only have pre-paid cell phones plans here. You buy a card, then can buy more minutes when you run out. They are expensive to use though…like 40 cents a minute. So we’ll try not to use them much, but we’re really glad to have them!
Then we checked on car insurance and went back to Cost U Less, and this time we did stock up. Oh, and I drove this time! I know where I’m going now and feel better about the way they drive here. It’s very different…basically whoever goes first, the others stop for them. You have to be very careful all the time to make sure people aren’t pulling out, or even backing out of a parking space, in front of you. They do not use the horn as a bad thing ever. The horn is used to thank someone who slows down or stops to let you in. Kind of neat actually!
Then in the evening, I was going to do a couple loads of laundry…didn’t work as well as I hoped because there are only 2 washing machines in here and only one was empty. Oh well, at least I got one in…thought I’d do the other later, but they were always full and/or had people waiting. Anyway, it’s $1.50 per load, and then our clothes didn’t dry, so I had to start the dryer again. So $4.50 for one load of laundry…lovely! While I did laundry, Phillip read a couple of chapters that were suggested by the professor. So at least he’s off to a good start! Tomorrow, he has lab in the afternoon too!
We met Mark on the bus tour, so we were excited. Mark is from Evansville also! Very cool! They also let us out at “Cost U Less,” which is like Sams at home, only you don’t have to be a member. The prices there are much better! That’s definitely where we’ll have to shop for stuff that we can buy in bulk! Everyone was stocking up! We were going to buy some things, then thank goodness Phillip remembered we didn’t have a car…that would have been a LONG WALK carrying groceries! So we put everything up…
We got back to campus at 5:30, and the mixer was scheduled for 6:00, so we just stayed. The mixer was fun. We sat at a picnic table with another new couple and a professor and his wife. They were all very nice. The food was good…lasagna, rice, chicken, salad, bread, cake…yum! The cake seemed very sweet! Hard to believe the difference after not having any junk food at all for a week…
We went to Jane’s to see our apartment when we left the mixer. It’s a very short walk from campus, which is great! We absolutely love the apartment!!! We will definitely be just fine living there!!!! Can’t wait to post pics once we’re in!!! It’s amazing! I can’t believe we got so lucky! (Jane drove us home…we were very glad since it was dark and raining!!!)
Tuesday - Jane came and picked up Phillip to take him to school today. She said there’s no way he’s walking there!!! Especially on his first day…she’s so sweet! Then I stayed with Jane and hung out for the morning. We went to a cool little place for breakfast. It’s called Turtle Pier! Fun!!!
Then we picked up an Island guy who was doing some work for her. He’s a really nice guy, but hard to understand! Phillip finished early today…no afternoon lab for the first day. So we picked him up after class, on our way to a hardware store. We were excited to see that place and know what all is there.
Phillip’s first day of class was fine. They didn’t go over much actual school information yet, just procedures and how everything works basically.
Just as we were getting back to Jane’s, the mechanic called and said our car was ready! Talk about good timing!!!! We walked a couple doors down, to his house, and paid for our car. Turns out there was a short that was killing the battery. So he fixed that and replaced the battery. It started great! Just hope it continues to! So we drove home, had lunch, and then went to Simpson Bay, where we bought Chippie cards! These are the sim cards for your cell phones. They only have pre-paid cell phones plans here. You buy a card, then can buy more minutes when you run out. They are expensive to use though…like 40 cents a minute. So we’ll try not to use them much, but we’re really glad to have them!
Then we checked on car insurance and went back to Cost U Less, and this time we did stock up. Oh, and I drove this time! I know where I’m going now and feel better about the way they drive here. It’s very different…basically whoever goes first, the others stop for them. You have to be very careful all the time to make sure people aren’t pulling out, or even backing out of a parking space, in front of you. They do not use the horn as a bad thing ever. The horn is used to thank someone who slows down or stops to let you in. Kind of neat actually!
Then in the evening, I was going to do a couple loads of laundry…didn’t work as well as I hoped because there are only 2 washing machines in here and only one was empty. Oh well, at least I got one in…thought I’d do the other later, but they were always full and/or had people waiting. Anyway, it’s $1.50 per load, and then our clothes didn’t dry, so I had to start the dryer again. So $4.50 for one load of laundry…lovely! While I did laundry, Phillip read a couple of chapters that were suggested by the professor. So at least he’s off to a good start! Tomorrow, he has lab in the afternoon too!
No comments:
Post a Comment