Sunday, January 4, 2009

typed Sunday January 4

Well, I suppose things were just going too well…of course it couldn’t last! We got up this morning and were leaving to go to campus to register. The car wouldn’t start AGAIN! We thought we had driven it enough that the battery would have been charged and would be ok. Obviously not! So, we walked to campus. We timed it…it took us 20 minutes. It wouldn’t be so bad, except that it’s not a great road to walk on and it was already hot! Phillip said that was the first time he’d ever walked to school! I thought that was funny since I used to walk often…of course, I certainly never had a 20 minute walk!!! Oh well…Registering went just fine. It was actually way easier than we figured it would be!! Phillip is now officially a medical student!!!! Hooray!!!!

Then we went to Note Services to buy Phillip’s lab coat (it’s really cool…it has “American University of the Caribbean” embroidered on it!), latex gloves, dissection kit, and lab manual. He also got the first week’s lecture notes, so that will be nice! We stopped in the library, where Megan was working, and got the name and number of their mechanic! Then we stopped to pick up his books…which wasn’t exactly very smart considering we had walked there!!!!! So on the walk back home, we took turns carrying a big box of books! Guess we both got our exercise today!

We called the mechanic when we got home. He wanted us to get it jumped, then drive it to a place near campus, close to where he lives. There wasn’t a single person in the parking garage, so the nice lady at the front desk came down so we could use her car to jump ours. We drove to meet the mechanic, who basically just messed with some wires and recommended a new battery. (This battery is pretty new though according to the last owner!) Anyway, he said to call him if it did it again and we’d meet again.

So then we were a little early, but went ahead to campus for the 4:00 meeting. The meeting went fine and they even had Dominoes Pizza at the end! It was cold, but still…YUM!!! It had rained during the meeting, but thank goodness had stopped by the time we left…because…you got it…the car wouldn’t start again! OK so this car is really making us mad by this point! Some nice students jumped us and we got home fine. We called the mechanic, who said to take it back tomorrow and he’ll meet us again. (That probably means having it jumped again so we can meet him!!!) We think we want to ask him to take the stupid car alarm off! Besides, it also has a transmission lock that won’t let you move the gear shift without unlocking it first. Plus, we figure who in their right mind is going to steal a ’98 car that has dings all over it and 3 big tacky bumper stickers in the rear window!!! LOL! There are certainly nicer cars to steal! I don’t mean to be complaining…the car would be great if it would just START!!!!!

So today is bittersweet for me…I must admit that I’m sad about not going back to Harwood tomorrow. I’m really going to miss this group of kids! (and of course my co-workers!!!) The good news is that I have a wonderful replacement, which makes me feel not as guilty about leaving. I cannot believe my luck…my favorite instructor from UE is going to take over my classroom!!!! She had moved away, just moved back, and was looking for a teaching position again. I cannot even explain how this makes me feel…my kids will be just fine! And better yet, I know their teacher will love them!!!! (and they’ll love her!) So it really could not have worked out better! But it still feels weird…

No comments:

Post a Comment