Saturday, January 3, 2009

update (typed Jan 2nd 7:00 pm)

Yesterday, we discovered that when we go outside by the little shops close by, we can sit on a bench and have access to wireless internet for free! That’s great, especially since we didn’t want to pay $70 to have internet for the 2 weeks we’re here! So we were able to email family and friends finally! Then we fixed grilled cheese for dinner and settled in for a quiet relaxing night. Then the phone rang and Jane (our landlady) said she was in our lobby! She came up to meet us and see the room, and talked us into going out with her for a drink while she had a late dinner. (She had arrived on the island just that afternoon.) We went to a neat restaurant across the street, and had a great outside table! We sampled some of Jane’s dinner…she had bread with goat cheese on it! It was actually really good! When they brought the check, they also brought a bottle of island rum…vanilla flavored! They poured each of us a shot. I was expecting the worst…I’m not very good at shots! I was wrong…it was sooo good and didn’t even burn. They leave the bottle on the table and Jane poured us each another! Yikes!

Then she wanted to go to Sopranos, a piano bar across the street, and convinced us to go with her. We met a few of her friends. They seem very nice…she knows everyone! The piano bar was great!!! This girl from Chicago is here for the whole month of January. She plays piano and sings…she’s really good!!!! The owner of the bar sang a couple songs too. He was great too! I especially liked when he sang a Garth song. J That was fun and I discovered that I really like Pinot Grigio! That’s Jane’s favorite wine, and possibly my new favorite too! We had a ton of fun, but stayed out too late and were really tired when the alarm went off at 7:10 this morning…

We met Bert at AUC at 8:30 this morning and he showed us around campus! We were really excited about this. We feel a little ahead now since we’ve already been on campus and know where we need to be on Sunday morning for registration! We also went to see Megan, who was working in the library. Then we drove into Simpson Bay and went into a couple of grocery stores. We were very happy to see some more normal prices!!!! OK, maybe not normal…but not near as bad as the stores nearby. He said that if you’re willing to stop at 2 or 3 stores, you can usually get pretty good deals on certain things at each store. Once we’re in our apartment, I’ll definitely have to shop at those!

We took about an hour nap and had a quick lunch before meeting Jane at 12:30. We drove all around the island with her and went to a great little restaurant. I think the name was Cosmos…not sure now. Anyway, it was right on the beach. Seriously, there was a tin roof over our heads, but it was open so you could see the waves…the shore was maybe 40 feet away and we were actually in the sand. It was neat! This is the place where Jane gets a lot of sea glass. (She is a jewelry designer and uses sea glass in her jewelry! How cool is that?!?!?) Dinner was really good! Phillip got a hamburger, which was quite a treat since we haven’t had anything out yet since we’ve been here. You’ll never believe this, but I got a goat cheese salad!!!! Lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, goat cheese, and little bread pieces to spread the cheese on. I guess I was feeling adventurous after tasting Jane’s last night. It was good, and was so big that I have leftovers for tomorrow! So after dinner, we wandered down the shore looking for sea glass. It was the wrong time of day, but we did find a little. That really fascinated me!!!! (Ever since reading about sea glass in a Nicholas Sparks book, I've always thought it would be so neat to find some!!)

When we got back, we wandered down to the shops again with our laptops, to check email. It’s so nice to have email access now! I’m not sure what I’d do without internet!!!! Ok, off to read New Moon…

No comments:

Post a Comment